Friday, May 27, 2011

Feature Friday- The Mitford Sisters

I'm not sure what drew me to purchase, The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford family by Mary S. Lovell.  It certainly was not the cover which drew me to the book. I flipped through the 640 pages and realized I wanted to purchase the book- I bought it about a year after it was published (It was published in 2003).  It turned out to be a very fast and easy read.

I've always said "truth is stranger than fiction" and the story of the Mitford sisters proves this saying. In fact, if someone wrote a novel with what happened in the lives of the Mitford sisters, it would be considered too unbelievable! I mean who would think to make up a story about a sister who befriends Hitler and another sister who is a Communist ...whilst yet another sister marries a Duke; oh, and let us not forget the sister who marries a Facist. 

Five of the six Mitford Sisters
Lovell does an excellent job of researching her subjects and in turn relaying the information about them to her readers. She is able to reveal facts about their lives without moving into the grayish area of 'gossip'.  At points in the book, I felt as though I was right there in the midst of one of the sisters' fiery discussions. When the last page was turned over, I thought about the family for days. I did some research myself. The more I found out about the family, the more intrigued I became.

I won't spoil the story by giving you any specific details....you will have to read the book for yourself!

7 comments:

  1. A- you need to read the book :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little description was good enough for me to mark it in my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nisha- I think you might enjoy it...just one of those books that you can't believe are actually true. They were our type of women- in the sense of daring to go against the tide if necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. on my list it goes .... :) Thanks for sharing...a good read is always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read Jessica Mitford's memoir Daughters and Rebels? (Also published as Hons and Rebels.) It's another interesting view of the family. I actually own this very same Mitford bio but haven't read it yet--now I'll move it up my summer reading list.

    I also remember bringing Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate with me to India on vacation one year--perfect vacation reading! I also recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Limenlemons- you will not regret the read- just will seem totally unreal...but it is a real story.

    @ Sue - I have never read any of the other Mitford books- but you have inspired me, I plan to pick them up...I think I'll hit the Jessica Mitford's memoir first...as I do love memoirs very much :) Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...