Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Five Favorite Books Are.....(variation of blogathon theme day)

If there was a group for Addicted Readers...I would have to join it. I would be the one standing up saying, "My name is....and I am a Readeraholic." So, to try and ask me what my favorite five books are? Well, that is next to impossible to determine; however, I'm up for any challenge....so let us give this a try....this will not be in order of preference....
 
1. The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye is one of the my favorite. Where do you think my 'name' comes from ...Anjuli was the main character in "The Far Pavilions." Any other books by M.M. Kaye ...all her "Death in..." books are great!


2. The Distant Land of My Father by Bo Caldwell. This book starts out a  bit heavy and slow but as you get into you are lost in another world.  The reader gets a bit of geography lessons, history lessons and life lessons all rolled up in one book.





3. Trinity by Leon Uris. I read this book when I was in 9th grade and fell in love with it. It made me want to read all the rest of Leon Uris' books, which I did. Great history and human psyche played out in the pages of all his books.  




4. Hawaii by James A. Michener. When it comes to Michener's books, it is very difficult to choose which one I love the best. I've read every single one of them and I love all of them! I guess I chose Hawaii because it was the first one I had ever read. I was in 8th grade and I would go down to the Tanjong Bungah beach front in Penang and get totally lost in the book. It is no wonder when I graduated from High School I decided to spend one week in Hawaii on my way from Singapore to Los Angeles.

5. The Holy Bible. I have saved the best for last, remember the list was not in any particular order...but if it had been...this would have been first on my list! My all time favorite book...because I read it over and over again and it says something new to me each time.  You want history...it is there...you want drama...oh  boy, is it there...you want truth and life changes...definitely there! 


....phew...didn't think I would be able to do it...limiting myself to five top favorites...it was so tempting to go on with more.

9 comments:

  1. You brought back some real memories with these titles, Anjuli. I can picture my Mom at our cabin on a Sunday reading Michener and M.M. Kaye...

    I see what you mean about my former comment not linking you to my site, but to a Blogger profile, which I don't have. If you want to see my books and other posts, go to www.intralingo.com and click on the "blog" tab. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to go to www.intralingo.com but for some reason it just keeps saying error. I even went into your post on the 'presenting blogroll' and clicked on the link to your URL and it also showed an 'error' message. Can you click on it and see what might be the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man! I had trouble narrowing it down with books on writing! To name my top five BOOKS? Argh! No! Don't make me!!!

    Nice list...I think I should def. read Far Pavilions...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Babette- your list was great! As for Far Pavilions- definitely a book to be read at least once in someone's lifetime :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aside fom the bible, I don't think I've read any of these books. But these days (as in the past 22 years) I really only have time to read the books I'm teaching my children for school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Kate- I know how it is with homeschooling- it is difficult to juggle everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriguing choices! I did know the first two books you mentioned, so it was interesting to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Hawaii as well! Such a fascinating story. I still have so many books I could add to my list of five. I'd be right with you in Readaholics Anon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Annette- I have been loving your Memoirs blog- and I stumbled into your declutter one this morning...I'll try to go back in late tonight when I have more time.

    @Christine- aah, a woman after my own heart- have loved reading your entries and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...