Friday, February 3, 2012

Feature Friday- The Peking Stitch

Several years ago, I wrote a book about my grandmother. Her story is a fascinating story and I enjoyed researching and writing it. When I finished the project, I was left with bins and bins of research. Newspaper articles, history notes and scribbles about life in China during the first part of the 1900's. 

As I flipped through the research, it occurred to me this material could be used to write a fictional story.  This is when Mei Ling introduced herself to me...she rose up from the crinkled pages of my research and pranced through my brain. She teased me from the old photographs I held.  She prodded me day and night until, The Peking Stitch was conceived.


I sat with my daughters and we discussed Mei Ling and her life. We met her father and her mother. We followed her into her society parties and felt her heart breaks.  


I only regretted I was not a fictional writer- I've never pretended to be. Non-fiction has been a medium I'm more comfortable with. The moment I try my hand at fiction, the characters move robotic-ally across the page. So after chapter four of The Peking Stitch, I shoved the manuscript into a drawer and forgot all about it.

Lately, Mei Ling has been calling me. She wants to get out of the drawer. She feels stifled in there. She seems to be saying, "Okay you might not be the best person to introduce me to others, but at least let me meet them!" 

So....I've agreed...I released her....On the 21st of  Jan, 2012...I allowed Mei Ling to emerge ever so slowly. A bit of a chapter in one post, another little bit in another post....you can meet Mei Ling at The Peking Stitch. Be sure to start at the beginning and remember, this will be an ongoing project....I'd love to have you join me on this endeavor.

30 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I came to fiction. I was only doing non-fiction, then a character formed in my head fifteen years ago, and last year I finally wrote the novel for her!

    Looking forward to reading about Mei Ling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, I had planned to scrap this post and feature another one- but yesterday was so busy-- I ended up flopping in bed and falling asleep and woke this morning with "OH NO- I forgot to delete the post..." only to come and see it already had a comment on it :) ha ha!!

      I can't wait to read about your character when you are published- I just have a feeling I'm going to ENJOY her :)

      Delete
  2. When I get stuck trying a new genre, I have generally signed up for a class. It is amazing how a few tips from an expert can give you the confidence to sally forth into previously unknown fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha- yes, I know- I've taken so many classes by some great teachers on fiction writer....but I think I have to admit this is something I'm handicapped in- maybe because I'm so stuck on 'getting it right' and 'making sure this is TRUE' ha ha!! I need to just relax (what one teacher told me)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you didn't delete this post :) Excited to read about Mei Ling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha- oh my- you can't imagine how many times today I wished I HAD deleted this ... oh well.

      Delete
  4. Hello Ms.Anjuli oh wow..I'm on to this one I'll go now to your provided link Ms.Anjuli *hugs* ;) weeeeee..I'm so excited hihihi;0

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey!! would definitely be going there and reading from the beginning!!

    grt effort!!

    http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anjuli,

    How are you doing? I am so pleased to see your book. I am so proud of you. Can I get a soft copy (or hard copy) of LETTA in CHINA. If you have a PDF or EBOOK format, that would be great.

    Also can I have PDF version of Mei Ling. I will upload on iPAD and read in the plane.

    I just started a new job so have been busy. I was traveling last week and may be coming week too. :))) So a book on iPAD is good especially if it yours.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will send you a hard copy of Letta In China - as for the Peking Stitch- I only have the first four chapters- I'll try and email those to you- as for the rest of the chapters, you'll have to wait for them to be created :)

      Delete
  7. We are fortunate for you forgot to delete the post. I am tempted to move to the other blog but I am on the move. Shal do so leisurely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh just stick with this blog :)-- I look forward to your next post.

      Delete
  8. Writing non fiction is always more difficult than fiction. Congratulations. I'll surely check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. ha ha- I hope not too excited, or you might be disappointed.

      Delete
  10. Wow...can't believe you written a book! What an amazing accomplishment.

    So excited...

    ReplyDelete
  11. First time here and what a lovely blog you have! Am following you now on Google connect. I'm off to meet Mei Ling now! Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just been by your blog- so happy to have 'found' you- another ATCK-er- am looking forward to reading more of your great recipes- and want to hear more of your growing up in Singapore etc- we are 'twins' hey? :) Wondered what school you attended in Singapore & you mentioned you were in Malaysia later- did you go to ISKL? Just curious.

      Delete
  12. Anjuli, your previous posts on the DNA were a preface to your great story telling skills is what I can guess! As said, 'Picture to abhi baki hai dost!( the feature film is yet to commence!) What we got was a sneak peek:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES, YES, YES.....I'm sooooo glad.....oh I'm so happy to see this post Connie;-D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmmm....still think I should have deleted this - ha ha!

      Delete
    2. Where did the TPS blog go;-o????

      Delete
    3. Sorry temporarily disconnected- Daniel is over in Ghana and I'm juggling a million and one things so haven't had a chance to update- so thought I'd close it down until his return and I can get back to updating regularly!! Plus I'm at the point that I wanted to rewrite the rest- and the updating will be a bit more than cut and paste- it will be total overhaul revamp etc etc...will let you know when it is back up and running.

      Delete
  14. Anyone who attempts to write a work of fiction has my full admiration! You must have so much great material to go on there to be able to write a book that many of us would be interested in - and I wouldn't be worried about your writing skills if I was you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sigh- I love reading OTHER people's attempts at fiction :)

      Delete

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...