Monday, February 6, 2012

Memory Monday- Speaking of

This is supposed to be 'Memory Monday'- a day I retrieve a memory from my past- or capture a memory in my present which I want to preserve carefully. So many events, episodes and encounters have passed through my life but not all of them are even worth remembering. Some, let's just be honest, are actually best forgotten. 

I was thinking this morning.....what are one of my best memories...I mean like the one memory in my life which would go into my "Memory Hall of Fame"? I have so many great memories, but which memory can compete for first prize? Have you ever thought of that? Like if right now I said to you- what is your absolutely best memory of all time- would you be able to give me a quick answer? 

Either I have too many superb memories or I don't have enough spectacular ones, because my brain is not spitting out a NUMBER ONE yet. I've been sitting staring at this screen- and I have a jumble of wonderful memories with no front runners. I mean, how do I choose one above the other? 

It is silly- but one memory sort of pushes against all the others and peeks out. It waves at me...but I am trying to ignore it because I think, "That isn't anything that special!"....but why does this particular memory always make me feel so good and make me smile? It's a short, itty bitty memory- but it must be quite powerful.

I was ten...it was actually my tenth birthday...and my mom told me she would take me out to buy me a present. This would be a 'just me and mom' day- wow- that was unheard of- aside from me being the youngest of five kids, my parents had their hands full with a million other people. So here was my mom taking me - all by myself- to go shopping! 

Serangoon Gardens
I think Tip Top was next to Captain's Cabin
We drove down to Serangoon Gardens and walked around to a watch shop. This shop was a little box outside on the walk way. My mom said, "Which watch do you think looks nice." I timidly pointed to one that just jumped out at me. Before I knew what was happening, my mom purchased the watch as my birthday present. I was beside myself, not only was I getting to spend the day with my mom (all by myself) but I was getting a watch for my birthday! Could things get any better? Oh, yes they could get better and they did.


My mom walked me to "Tip Top" a small coffee shop. I thought my heart was going to leap out of my chest, I was so happy. I sat very prim and proper and tried to look like I was a regular "Tip Top" customer. 


"Should we have the Merry Widow?" Okay, now I knew I was dead and had gone to heaven, my mom was offering me my favorite dessert of all time. I thought she was going to order one and we would share it, but no, she ordered one for each of us!


So, that is it- the simple memory that peeks out- it might not be fantabulous or super amazing- but I think it just might be one of the front runners for first prize....the jury is still out on this....but it seems to be holding its own.


How about you? What is a good memory which sticks out in your mind?

20 comments:

  1. The best memory that I would like to cherish are the moments with my Papa when I was 3 years old Ms.Anjuli..my mom went to a foreign land and left us for a while to work..but my Papa took care of me and everyday was like a father and a child playing and just having bonding together..I remember when it was raining and he needs to leave me to my grandma we walked and I was sitting on his shoulders while I was holding our umbrella..passing by Ms.Anjuli ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sie- this is such a precious memory!!! Your dad sounds like a wonderful father and it is great that you have such memories to hold on to.

      Delete
  2. Pure selfishness, on my part: I love your posts where I read familiar names, see familiar places, and revel in my own memories.

    margo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've hit the nail on the head- that is why I like the blogs- they jog my memories

      Delete
  3. awww! just loved the whole idea of a memory hall of fame & the way you drew us into the front-runner event. true, on the face of it,it looks like a simple enough event that happened in the life of a 10 year old but the way you must have felt then & the way you relived those feelings today THAT is what is amazing of this particular memory. a watch & a dessert - and a child could be happy beyond words. the fact that you remember it after all these years, shows how ecstatic you were that day
    lovely post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Sujatha - what was YOUR favorite memory??? You never shared it with us :) I would love to hear it. (read about it)

      Delete
  4. Haha this was so cute :)
    I can actually imagine a ten year old sitting in a frock eating desert :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sitting very prim and proper indeed- because in my day (yes I'm that old) we were told to be 'seen and not heard' :)

      Delete
  5. Very sweet memories Anjuli:)So difficult to tell which one raised hand for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I know you must have so many great memories and thus it is difficult for you to choose one!! I've read some great ones on your blog which you have created even now!

      Delete
  6. That was a lovely, thought provoking read and how wonderful are the simple joys of childhood.

    You got me thinking...not sure what would be number one for me but certain things spring to mind. My first trip to Wimbledon tennis tournament, boarding the QM2 for the first time, seeing The Beatles play live...

    I remember my childhood well, but can't pinpoint a special memory. I must keep thinking...inspiring entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great variety of memories- it would be hard for me to choose which one I liked the best- I mean who can choose between the Beatles playing live and boarding the QM2???!!! Amazing! I know (from your blog) you have so many other wonderful memories- you always have a way of recounting your memories (even the bad ones) with such humor!

      Delete
  7. Came over from Sujatha's.
    Such a lovely post, nostalgic and so sweet. Birthdays are always special, when our mom spends time with us, buys watches and treats us with fav deserts, it becomes the best bday ever!!

    Congratulations on becoming a granny again!! Moving on to the prev memory monday post now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and all the comments- I really enjoyed your blog also.

      Delete
  8. Wow... that was a super sweet memory. :) I can totally understand why it makes it to your memory hall of fame. It is such a simple but beautiful memory and you have written it so adorably. You brought my childhood in front of me. :)

    And I really loved those 2 photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked to hear about your memories :)

      Delete
    2. Hmm... you have got me thinking here. It is now that I actually realize that your post is even more special. Because I am finding it so difficult to pin point one great memory. Lots of moments.. me celebrating Diwali with my parents, sitting in the beach for hours with them etc...

      Well, while reading your memory one of my memories popped up .. It is more of a recurring thing. There is a restaurant in my hometown Pondicherry which serves one particular dish just on Friday mornings. So right from my school days, me and my mom used to go there, enjoy that dish and get some for my dad. And if my mom is not able to come, I go there and get it for all of us and we eat it at home. :) This has become a part of our daily routine now and it is as enjoyable as ever.

      Delete
    3. what a delightful memory you have recorded- and it tied in to your daily routine now, which makes it all the more special!! It is difficult to pinpoint memories- but I'm so glad you shared this particular one- it speaks of regularity and continuity and all the things which make life what it is.

      Delete
  9. Captain's Cabin! That's where I first had oxtail stew with my dad. Not a memory that stands out amongst all but precious now as I lost my Dad a couple of months ago, unfortunately, I hadn't seen him in 5 years as he lived in Penang. Thanks for these pics, Connie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dad! My father used to love the oxtail stew at Captain's Cabin. Whereabouts in Singapore did you live (when you lived there?)- I grew up around Palm Grove Ave- Serangoon Area- now I have a flat in Woodlands.

      Delete

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...