Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thankful Thursday- REBLOG ABOUT MY MOM


As Mother's Day approaches, I am thankful for my own mother, Margaret Belle Hansen was born in Peking, China. She spoke only Mandarin until the age of five, after which she learned to speak English. 


 "Margie" sitting on her mom's lap, picture taken in Peking, China.

Little "Margie" could never have imagined 12 years after her birth she and her family would be prisoners in a Japanese Internment camp in Wei Hsien, China. 


Dec 1943 marked the date Margaret and her family arrived in New York as exchange prisoners of war. Before she knew it, she went back to Asia as a married woman.  
 
Margaret on her wedding day 

In 1955, Margaret Belle Seaward settled into life in Singapore where she made good use of her childhood Mandarin. One day I must write a book of her life, as it was filled with grand adventures and marvelous miracles.

Margaret Seaward now resides in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. She flies between Singapore and KK regularly. In a given month she will fly over to Australia to speak for a conference and then zip back to Malaysia to speak for some meetings; a quick dash down to over to Indonesia and back up to Kota Kinabalu....then she wonders, "why am I so tired"

"Mom, because you are 81 years old and you act like you are 21!"

My mom, Margaret Seaward, in 2011
I want to wish my mother a Happy Mother's Day- and thank her for all she has instilled in me.  The words -"Impossible"...."no"...."it cannot be done"....were never part of her vocabulary. She taught me above all to put God first. She taught not only by word, but by her very lifestyle.  I can only hope that when I am 81 I will be as 'young' as she is. :)

Margaret and Fred Seaward- taken in Singapore 2009

27 comments:

  1. What a fascinating history! I bet your mom tells some wild stories. What does she speak about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes- some very wild stories. She actually preaches- powerfully, I might add! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow.. I just dont have any words to say. What an inspiration she is! I am just amazed by her inner strength. Lovely tribute this to your wonderful wonderful mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raj- she has been and continues to be a great inspiration to me.

      Delete
  3. Anjuli, get to it and write that book about your mom! I hope you've interviewed her and taken notes? Perhaps she wrote some of this down herself? Having just been to China, I've been reading up on its history, and her perspective growing up there before WWII and then ending up in a Japanese internment camp would be fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you are right- I must! I have the research from the beginning of her life- because I wrote a book about her mom- and I know the part I was involved in (after I was born, etc)-- but I have been trying to get her to record the in between parts.

      Delete
  4. Connie, your blog!! I truly truly look forward to reading such stories which gets the goose bumps in me. And your mother is an incredible lady! Travelling ike that at the age of 81! Ha, I would crib so much if I had to do all that now, when I am 27. And that pic where she is a baby, that is so cute. And how it is must feel like for her to look at her photos now. I am sure she would be amazed to read this account of her on your blog Connie! Totally Fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely a 'high tech' grandma! ha ha-- She usually introduces me to all the latest technology and can run circles around me when it comes to the computer. She has 1,961 friends on Facebook- I keep telling her "You don't have to add EVERYONE who asks" ha ha!! ;)

      Delete
  5. Your mom is exactly the type of mom that I aspire (and fail) to be like. She sounds like an amazing lady! And I am so impressed with all that she's done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me- you and my mom are more alike than you can imagine. She was definitely a no nonsense mom...and was not airy fairy about raising us kids- ha ha!! That's why we all came out tough as nails. wildly independent and very creative- well the creative part somehow ran out by the time I was born ;)

      Delete
  6. Wow! Such an incredible lady she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think she is incredible Kusum...and I only shared the bare surface of who she is.

      Delete
  7. Lovely ode, Anjuli. Your posts are usually quite poignant and bring a tear to my eye. Your mum, 81 or not, is amazing! I don't see mine often as she lives in KL and unfortunately, lost my dad just before Christmas last year after a sudden illness, hadn't seen him in 5 years. Your post has just reminded me to pick the phone up and call my mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dad!!! It is so hard being away from them isn't it? I thank God for skype and tango- as it gives me a chance to SEE them even though I can't be near them that much.

      Delete
  8. the more i read about your family, the more i am admiring each one of them individually and your mother is definitely so wonderful

    and hey, that kind of hectic schedule - wow! she is special truly

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are blessed to have a Mom like her Ms.Anjuli and I'm sure you are a good Mom too because she has taught and loved you well..visiting you Ms.Anjuli and Happy Mother's Day *hugs* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mother's day to you and your mom too. Such a wonderful lady.
    Indeed you are lucky to have to have her and find inspiration from her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the Mother's Day greeting!!

      Delete
  11. What an inspiration for all of us and how proud you must be:-)).

    You must write the book Connie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Connie,

    This is elrica from Singapore!
    Your mum is here with us today, and she is indeed such a blessing for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The happilly blessed married couple is our senior pastor here in ccc. I love them. And when pastor margrt preach i can feel the mother's love in her and when she told stories about her mum, i know that she still miss her mum. Anjuli!!! U r blessd to hv a mum like her!!
    #1st comment had been deleted to be edited#
    K.k sabah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blessed Mother's Day to two remarkable women of faith. U have taught me to desire and pursue God above all else. I m so blessed to be mama seaward's disciple.

    ReplyDelete

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...