Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Memory Monday: Alaska

I've been to Alaska before...but never on a cruise. My hubby had promised to take me on a cruise on our 25th anniversary and he is a man of his word.  

Departure: Seattle  

The room was amazing- the entire ship was incredible. (another post with all those pics at a later date)


First stop on our itinerary was Ketchikan.  It was a Sunday, so naturally we looked around for a church to attend. We chose a small church which was walking  distance from the Ship. It was lovely meeting with people from the town. I noticed a smart little car parked on the road...with the keys still in the ignition. I commented,"boy this place must be safe for someone to leave their keys in the car"
My comment was met with laughter and a quick explanation that there was no where to drive to! 
Aside from shops- lots of diamond shops- fur shops-trinket shops- there was not much to see in town. We boarded the ship with the promise that our next destination would be to see the Glaciers. This was truly breathtaking
I thought this ice looked like a sinking ship
 I can't begin to explain the awe and majesty of the scenery. The ship sliced ever so quietly through the waters as my husband and I sat out on the balcony drinking in the scenery.
the Glacier

Amazing scenery
 Heads popped out of windows and over railings as everyone attempted to get the best view of the glacier and the mountains. I'm not sure why, but I kept whispering to my husband, "This is so beautiful"...it was almost like I didn't want to disturb the beauty with my voice. Needless to say, this was one of my favorite parts of the journey.

The next stop along the way was Juneau. There seemed to be an endless stream of planes flying in and out of the harbor. Since I've been to Juneau before, we opted to stay on the ship and enjoy a day of rest. We did important things like experiment taking pictures of ourselves in the ship's elevators. Needless to say, it was a great choice.

 We did get off at Skagway, yes to explore all seven blocks of the town. This was a very intriguing town. Skagway is known as the gateway to the Klondike and thus there are a myriad of stories which surround this borough. I'm sure there will be a few more posts about this place.

Aside from learning a bit about its history, we mailed some postcards from the wee post office and ate some ice cream.
 We walked up one side of the town and down the other. We explored dirt paths and finally decided we would head back to the ship. As we sauntered back to the ship, I could not help but notice how crisp the air was. 

On our journey, we had several delightful surprises...there will be plenty of time to talk about those later. I think my favorite surprise was our next stop, Vancouver Island...specifically Victoria!  I said to my husband, "Why didn't we just come to Victoria and spend the whole time here..."

"Who knew!" (I'm sure he was thinking it would have saved a lot of money) :)
 
 I won't say too much more about Victoria because it definitely deserves a post all of its own. If you ever have a chance to visit this charming place, don't think twice...do it! 

All in all, the cruise was amazing. We met interesting people, saw wonderful new places, and enjoyed spending time with each other. When it came time to disembark, we were quite happy to be getting home...but we have promised ourselves a return trip to Victoria...this time we will take the ferry.

31 comments:

  1. First things first...I am so glad you are back!! was missing u on blogosphere for such a long time!

    those pics are awesome and makes me want to go on a holiday right away!! looks like u guys had a lot of fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was wonderful :) If you ever get a chance to visit Alaska- you need to take it! But of course, you need to come and see me in Seattle first.

      Loved your story, you kept me on the edge of my seat.

      Delete
  2. I love you post and those pictures say everything ... you had lots of fun!!! Alaska is a mysterious beauty. I visited mostly the southern parts and national parks to see grizzly. But, want to visit again and again for rest of the interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't believe it is almost 2014 and I have NOT done a post in 2013- I'm hoping to start blogging again in January- and that means catching up with you!

      Delete
  3. The way you wrote the post was very sweet and all romantic. Indeed your husband has lived upto to his promise. He has wisked you away to some fairy dream land. I so want to see the pics on the cruise. I have been wanting to go on too. I hope my husband reads this ;-)

    The air being so crisp.. hmm really nature is kind of untouched there isn't it? and hence we tend to whisper when in woods or a silent untouched place. Looking forward to all those pics and the special post on Victoria :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to start blogging again in 2014- and catching up with your blog.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting, and a dream vacation for everybody too, though when we would end up seeing,only God knows. However, for the time being it was good to see glimpses of it through your blog. Waiting for more details and more pictures of yours and also of the cruise and the places visited. It is always good to have husbands who keep their promises.
    My husband too took me to Sikkim in winter so that I could enjoy the snow there. It happened to be our 25th anniversary too.
    I am glad you had a memorable time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will need to visit your blog and see if you have done a story about your visit to Sikkim. Hopefully this coming year I'll have more time to blog and catch up on blogs.

      Delete
  5. I've never ever wanted to go on a cruise - except to Alaska. Beautiful photos! I hope to see for myself some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine- have missed your blog- hope to be catching up with it soon

      Delete
  6. So beautiful! I'm so glad both of you can enjoy this beautiful anniversary's celebration. Both of you deserved it! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary wishes!!!!

    Connie, ur vacation sounds like a dream
    ...I savoured every word and the pictures are gorgeous.

    p.s: I sooo get the 'whispering' bit;-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beuatiful Must have been a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow what an amazing trip you have had :D :) Happy Happy anniversary :) and will wait to read so many posts of yours as you have promised :D

    :) loved the snaps and the post a lot :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am saddened to see I promised so many (many) follow up posts- and now it is nearing the end of 2013 and I realize I have not even done ONE :) Oh well- there is always NEXT year.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely trip. The cruise must be like a small city in itself. Waiting for the next set of pics.

    The names 'Ketchikan' and 'Klondike' seem so mysterious. The scenery is breathtaking indeed. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very mysterious :)...have missed your blog...and missed blogging as a whole- hope to restart SOMEHOW- just need to juggle my time better :)

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An amazing trip indeed with some lovely pics, Anjuli!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed catching up with your blog- will try to be more diligent in the new year

      Delete
  13. I've never been on a cruise before either! What amazing pictures...I can't wait to see this in person one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So have you been to Alaska since you wrote "I can't wait to see this in person one day" ? :) You should go- it is amazing!

      Delete
  14. Alaska!!!...cool!!

    I can just imagine the wonderful time you must have had...of course the images and ur narrative exudes all the excitement....but to be actually there!!!

    lovely!!

    and its so cool that ur back to blogging!! :)

    http://www.myunfinishedlife.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see you spoke too soon- I was NOT back to blogging- although that was my intent. Now I am hoping to be back in January 2014- let's see if my intent will carry out to actual blogging :)...and catching up with blogs.

      Delete
  15. I came here hoping to read whats happening with you Connie....I've been irregular myself so can't take u to task over not updating the space;-P.

    Hoping you are doing good Connie, been thinking of u past few days so came over to say hi:-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nansie- sorry I've been absent from here - but it sounds like you have also not been regular on the blog. I'll be sure to be better in the new year :)....things have been quite hectic here this year- one of these days they will slow down :)

      Delete
  16. That ice does look like a sinking ship! Lovely pictures all of them. Haven't seen you on my blog for a while.. hope everything is fine and you are doing good! Take care!

    www.thegirlatfirstavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have been missing your blog- will try and catch up in the new year - just a few days away

      Delete
  17. Beautiful! What a wonderful opportunity to experience God's creation. Thanks so much for sharing it here with us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! What a wonderful opportunity to experience God's creation. Thanks so much for sharing it here with us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely pics and narration :)
    I see that you haven't opened your blog in ages. I myself come here after about 4 years and see that u too have been away for as much time :(

    ReplyDelete

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...